on 19/03/04 08:59, Luis Sequeira at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> 10.3.3. on a Pismo.
>> It claims that networked servers will appear in the sidebar. But that
>> applied before in my 3.2. Can't discern any changes - good or bad. What
>> should I be looking for? (I'd love to be able to make appearance
>> changes - fonts etc - in iCal). TONY
>
> Only networked servers that were connected by entering their address
> directly (or by selecting from the favorite servers list) used to
> appear in the sidebar (and on the desktop).
>
> If you used the Network button in the sidebar or the browse button in
> the "Connect to server" dialog to find a server, then it would NOT
> appear in the sidebar.
> This has (at last!) been fixed  in 10.3.3 (this strange behavior had
> been introduced with 10.3).

Had to do with Apple's decision initially in 10.3 to do "soft" mounts as in
Unix, as opposed to "hard" mount. Soft mounts were done when you would
access the "Network" component in the Finder, while hard mount were used
when you would use "Connect to server" and type the IP address.

With 10.3.3, all mounts are hard mounts. Soft mounts is a way to access a
remote volume where if the server is temporarily unavailable, the system
won't warn you and will try to reconnect. Obviously, you can get strange
behaviors from applications that are trying to access those volumes. Hard
mounts, on the other hand, are tightly integrated with the system. If a
server providing the hard mount becomes unavailable, the system and any
application using that volume will stop and wait until the volume gets back
online or the system decides that it gives up after a time out.

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

fear and loathing n.: [from Hunter S. Thompson] A state inspired by the
prospect of dealing with certain real-world systems and standards that are
totally brain-damaged but ubiquitous -- Intel 8086s, or COBOL, or EBCDIC, or
any IBM machine bigger than a workstation. "Ack! They want PCs to be able to
talk to the AI machine. Fear and loathing time!"