I'm not sure I'm following you here...

On Mar 19, 2004, at 7:00 AM, Andrew wrote:

You need it because those viruses fake the sender's address, so you might get something from someone you "trust", which is really a virus, then not being able to open the "photo" that your "friend" sent, you reply asking him or her to send it again only now your friend's computer (which runs Windows) is infected by that virus that YOU sent.

If you send a plain text email to that friend, why/how would you infect his system? Are you thinking that the recipient would send the file back to the supposed sender? I certainly wouldn't do that. Does hitting Reply on some email programs automatically attach files? I haven't seen that behavior in Mail.

Not only that, but the SMTP worms are only the latest threat, there are plenty of older and different pieces of malware out there, and while a Mac cannot be infected by Windows code, it can spread it as described above.

Only if one manually forwards an attachment, right?

Also, while there aren't any OS X virii yet, there will be. I used to think the same in the System 7.5.1 days and didn't bother with antivirus, until I got hit by the Autostart worm which after going unnoticed for a week or two rendered most of my documents damaged or useless (It randomely replaced ones with zeros).

I won't use ANY computer without antivirus, even a Mac.

Andrew

Well, that's the way to be safe, I suppose. But personally, I won't ever use a Norton product again. When I'm ready, I'll see what else is available, and read some reviews.

Regards,

Harry Corsover

======================================= Harry Corsover, Independent Business Owner CyberWize: The Home Business Solution Amazing Travel * Health * Tax Benefits <http://www.hc.cyberwize.com> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> * 877-507-9562 =======================================