I finally got DSL up here in the wilds, it's static connection. Using a Paradyne modem connected to a Net-gear 614 v2
router. I am using a Pismo with 10.3.3 with a small OS 9 partition, connected right now through a 802.1X connection in internet connect.

I did not load any of the software that came with the router and the modem although the router has a set up page to load your mail settings and connection info, port selection a whole lot of stuff for someone used to just using an airport set up, which by the way does not work very well with this DSL the signal is so weak I cant get 50 feet, was going to do a bridge set up a little later and put another airport in the house for better reception to get better coverage. On set up there were a few choices, i.e. allowing a ping, selected no and one or 2 other items that were recommend to not enable as this would allow access to the computer.

As the Pismo loads I see a section on firewall loading. I imagine this is part of the OS 10.3.3.

So am reasonably safe with what I have or I don't have ?

I will be adding to this network with a airport, and a another hub for the trusty 6100 G3, another Pismo and a G3 1400, printers, etc., no problems with neighbors picking up the airport, unless the moose count.

I do online banking, stocks, and some legal work and medical work.

I always log out and quit I.E. or Safari when doing some serious work and then restart the I.E. when I go just browsing, I do not restart the computer until done for the day and ready for the next day.

I know nothing is really safe but would like a few road blocks if it's prudent and not just throwing money away.

Any recommendations for software or hardware, that would make life more secure or is what I have reasonable or am I really directing traffic in the naked and the moose is going to take all my online info with the antler antenna .
Thanks for any help
Geoff