Mark,

You are in for one hell of a hard time if you plan on replacing that screen
yourself. I've done it twice and it's a long laborious job. If you plan on
going ahead with it, email me off-list and I'll send you some info.

As far as what Apple does, they sometimes (depending on current LCD prices
and your particular TiBook model) just throw your hard drive in a whole new
case. Then charge you $1200 for it.

Scott