Can you boot OS-9. If you can, see if it happens in 9. It may be softwaqre or hardware, but if it happens in 9 too, chances are slim it is hardware.

Does the brightness adjustment seem to work over its whole range?

You may have a fault in the fluorescent lamp power supply that illuminates the screen.

Paul