On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:02:35 -0500, Tom Zahm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Wow!

I'm new to the G-Books list. I am absolutely honored to receive an email from *the* Timothy J. Luoma, if even indirectly.

HA! I thought this was a setup.

I have only a '98 Wallstreet, but I *do* still use a screamin' 400 MHz OpenStep (Intel) machine, and an '040 Cube to boot.

Thanks again for all your contributions to the NeXT world.

You're welcome. Believe it or not it was about a decade ago that I started working for PEAK on the next-ftp site. I remember thinking that the WWW was a waste of time (well, it still is, but in a different way ;-)

(For the non-NeXTers: PEAK was one of the two main FTP sites. Just about every NeXTSTEP/OpenStep program was available on one or both of PEAK or Peanuts, which was in Germany, IIRC. This was long before anyone had their own web page to sell software. If you are familiar with Tucows or Download.com it was something like that except a lot less sophisticated. I essentially ran the PEAK site, answered questions, etc. This was back when Usenet was actually worth using and before there was much spam... ah the golden days. Believe it or not I still get a few emails/month about NeXT stuff. You can still find a bunch of it at www.peak.org/~luomat/ [which you are only allowed to visit if you agree not to mock the web design. It was the late 1990s.)

NeXTStep/OpenStep was absolutely awesome and I missed it terribly when I finally had to quit using it (I sold my NeXTStation in 2001 and my NSFIP machine went to the trash heap because I couldn't find anyone to buy it :-/ I was truly hoping for OS-X for Intel but I'm looking forward to getting back into the Unix world (tried FreeBSD but it had the same problem as Windows; it was too hard to get it to do what I wanted it to do. Even getting a window manager to work was a colossal pain.)

I just realized that I bought a new computer in 1997 (133mhz Pentium with 64mb ram [I think] which became the main machine instead of my 25mhz NeXTStation w/ 32ram) then 2000 (650mhz Pentium with 128mb ram) and now 2004 (1ghz G4 with 512mb ram). I wonder what I'll be looking at in 2007/2008 :-?

Anyway, thanks for the ego boost. I think this is the first time I've been referred to as "*the* Timothy J. Luoma" :-DDD .... As if my wife didn't already have too much to put up with (-:

TjL