Simplified:
HD speed and access improve speed (RAID, SCSI, SATA RAID)
Amount of RAM (more you have the more the OS can use as cache instead of using the slower hard drive)
CPU Speed
system Bus Speed
Amount of cache memory on CPU (for intensive tasks, cache stores commands)

This goes for PC's and Macs. What am I forgetting?

Mike tech @ AAHS