I left the Lombard sleeping yesterday (it was inactive most of the day)
and today in the morning I found it very hot. The HD (hitachi travestal 40
GB, 5400 rpm, just over 1 year old), which I normally do not hear, was
making some noise, a regular noise, as if it were stuck searching some
data or so. It was supposed to be idle.

It was difficult to hear the noise, but it was definitely there. I tried
some browsing in the finder (10.3.3) and didn't notice any problems, but
the computer and the HD itself were very hot, completely abnormal,
considering it was inactive for nearly 24 hours. Then I booted into OS 9
and the HD seemed abnormally noisy during the booting. Finder browsing
OK, then I decided to shut it down, let it cool first. Re-boot again in
OS9, it seems all fine, but the HD is not as quiet as it used to be, but
not as quiet if idle. Reboot in OS X, all is ok, but the regular noise
while the HD is idle is back, one can also "feel" it with the hand if
touching the palm rest near the keyboard.

I have two partitions, one with OS 9.2.2, one just upgraded from Jaguar to
Panther about a week ago. Although there seems to be a potential
correlation there, I didn't seem to notice this issue during last week. I
can't exclude the problem started after the upgrade, but I tend to think
it just started last night.

Does somebody with more experience than me recognise any potential problem
existing/developing?

thanks in advance, gianfrancoo