>  From your Model# above, I'd say you have a Travelstar 40GNX 40GB
> drive. If that's the case, then Transintl says it has a 3-year
> warranty:
> <http://www.transintl.com/store/category.cfm?Category=351&RequestTimeO
> ut=500>
>
> I was just reading  recently where several people have had problems
> with that drive right about the 1-year mark. Sounds like you are just
> about at that time frame as well.
>
> I'm not trying to diagnose your problem. We're just discussing
> whether you have a warranty on the drive or not.
>
> P.S. I just ran down a spec sheet for your drive in case you are interested:
> <http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ibmtrav40at5.html>

yes, that's the drive in question and is just at the year mark. So I have
contacted Transintl who have given me a link to request a return number.
I'm not sure how to proceed after I request the Nr. (first timer), but I
guess it will all be self-explanatory once I start...

The reason why I have not yet gone ahead with the request is that I had
also contacted Hitachi separately, who have sent me a link to a diagnostic
software (Drive Fitness Test) that unfortunately runs under DOS or
Windows on x68 based computers. Apart from the fact that I found this
rather amusing in year 2004 and considering the HD in question (but maybe
I'm missing something here), the software is supposed to check for bad
sectors and eventually repair them. Should I get some similar test performed before
returning the disc (if yes, how??), or should I just return based on the
sympoms I see. I mean, the disc works still, but the continuous seeking
noise is abnormal, so is the heat generated...

thanks all for the assistance! cheers, gianfranco