on 19/05/04 06:10, gf sciacca at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I left the Lombard sleeping yesterday (it was inactive most of the day)
> and today in the morning I found it very hot. The HD (hitachi travestal 40
> GB, 5400 rpm, just over 1 year old), which I normally do not hear, was
> making some noise, a regular noise, as if it were stuck searching some
> data or so. It was supposed to be idle.
>
> It was difficult to hear the noise, but it was definitely there. I tried
> some browsing in the finder (10.3.3) and didn't notice any problems, but
> the computer and the HD itself were very hot, completely abnormal,
> considering it was inactive for nearly 24 hours. Then I booted into OS 9
> and the HD seemed abnormally noisy during the booting. Finder browsing
> OK, then I decided to shut it down, let it cool first. Re-boot again in
> OS9, it seems all fine, but the HD is not as quiet as it used to be, but
> not as quiet if idle. Reboot in OS X, all is ok, but the regular noise
> while the HD is idle is back, one can also "feel" it with the hand if
> touching the palm rest near the keyboard.
>
> I have two partitions, one with OS 9.2.2, one just upgraded from Jaguar to
> Panther about a week ago. Although there seems to be a potential
> correlation there, I didn't seem to notice this issue during last week. I
> can't exclude the problem started after the upgrade, but I tend to think
> it just started last night.
>
> Does somebody with more experience than me recognise any potential problem
> existing/developing?

That sounds like the hard disk. Might be a good idea to make backup of your
important data.

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

fudge: 1. vt. To perform in an incomplete but marginally acceptable way,
particularly with respect to the writing of a program. "I didn't feel like
going through that pain and suffering, so I fudged it -- I'll fix it later."
2. n. The resulting code.