Ok, I know this question has been beaten often been asked and has been discussed to death, but my interest is very specific, so hopefully someone can give me some specific insight.

I've been an member of the list for quite a while and have really valued the thoughts of the members and tried to contribute when I could. Unfortunately, I recently moved and there's no local Apple Store to go play with the new hardware, so I have to rely on your help here...

I currently use, as my daily machine for work/play, the last G3 iBook (12", 900mHz, 640MB ram, combo drive). I really like it a lot. It's got 2.5 years of AppleCare left on it and it works great.

I'm in the process of changing jobs and am considering purchasing a new Powerbook (got a lump sum payment and am eyeing a new computer). I'm wondering if anyone has made the switch from a G3/800 or 900mHz or so iBook to a 1.25, 1.33 or 1.5gHz Powerbook and could share their experience. I briefly used a 1gHz 12" Powerbook and found the speed increase from this iBook to be very minimal if any in most applications. I found the benefits to be so marginal, I sold the Powerbook and stuck with the iBook. I also had a TiBook (800mHz) for quite a while and really liked it, but it wasn't much faster than the iBook and the iBook is far more durable than the Ti.

I use the computer for email, web browsing, Office apps, etc. I don't play games too much on it, as I have a 1.2gHz upgraded Cube with a 17" flat panel at home, and it works great. I do occasionally use Virtual PC and it's a little slow on the iBook, but certainly useable. I'm wondering if anyone has specific experience with VPC on a newer Powerbook as well.

I'm leaning towards the 15" Powerbook partly because the backlit keyboard is so cool, but also partly because I prefer ATI graphics chips. From what I've read, the 9700 is a great chip whereas the GeForce5200 in the 12" Powerbook is adequate, but nothing to write home about.

As I said, I'm doing the homework on this, but would really appreciate any advice. Also, if anyone has thoughts on ordering the 128MB graphics card or the 5400rpm hard drive options, I'd love to hear those as well. I'm considering the 15"/1.5 gHz/128MB VRAM/Superdrive/512MB single chip/80GB 5400rpm configuration.

Thanks in advance.

-Hal