On 6/1/04 8:01 PM, "Hal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As I said, I'm doing the homework on this, but would really appreciate
> any advice. Also, if anyone has thoughts on ordering the 128MB graphics
> card or the 5400rpm hard drive options, I'd love to hear those as well.
> I'm considering the 15"/1.5 gHz/128MB VRAM/Superdrive/512MB single
> chip/80GB 5400rpm configuration.

That is exactly the machine I ordered about a month ago, but it is my first
Mac.  I don't suppose you live near Ohio ;-?

Anyway, the reasons that I went with the PB over the iBook are the extra USB
ports, FW ports, larger HD, better video card, PC-card slot (the only way
you can upgrade a laptop for some "next great thing" that comes along
afterwards.  It's how I got Firewire and wifi on my last laptop that was 4
years old).

There was a good website that was posted about a month or so ago that went
into the details of what an iBook lacked that a PB had... That was mostly
the same conclusions I had come to.  I can't find the URL, perhaps someone
else has it?

I don't know if that helps, but I always think it is wise to get as much
computer as you can afford at the time and make it last as long as you can.
That basic thought was the real decision maker when it came to the PB.  The
extra money went towards making me feel like I had the best computer for the
longest amount of time (not that in 6-12 months there won't be
newer/cheaper/faster, but that I'll have had this one and be happy with it,
rather than feeling like I settled.)

HTH.  If you are near Ohio, let me know :-)

TjL
Sent using the Microsoft Entourage 2004 for Mac Test Drive.