on 05/06/04 14:41, Ken at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> My Reply follows quote. On 05/06/2004 11:09 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>
>> Recently my Wallstreet was attacked by a glass of water.  I took it apart
>> and there didn't seem to be any water inside the machine....but of course,
>> now she's dead (and I'm so depressed).  If I plug it in it tries to start
>> up, whiring while the green power light goes on...but I don't think the
>> hard drive even starts spinning and then it shuts back down.  In this
>> process the screen doesn't light up and I have to wait a couple of hours
>> for this to happen again (it won't start with the startup button).  So the
>> process (just to repeat) goes like this.
>>
>> 1.  Empty battery bays.  Insert power cord.
>> 2.  Startup light comes on, quick whirring sound for 2-3 second.
>> 3.  Sound stops, light goes off, and the machine is dead.
>> 4.  Repeat in an hour with same results.
>>
>> It doesn't seem to me like the entire machine is shot and with the wide
>> array of parts on ebay I'm hoping someone could give me an idea on what
>> this might be....any ideas from the Wallstreet family?
> ---------
> If you are lucky, and your water is soft, you may be able to revive the
> machine by THOROUGHLY drying in out. As a minimum, I would remove the
> keyboard, hard drive, processor card and disconnect as many of the ribbon
> cable connectors as I could reach without disassembling the computer and
> let it air dry for a day or so.
>
> I suspect that water has gotten into some of the connectors and is
> causing faulty circuits. I suppose you could use a hair dryer on it after
> you have done the disconnections to speed things up, just don't over heat
> things!

There is also another unfortunate possibility. If the original poster did
try to power it up before it was completely dry, it is possible that
remaining water caused some shorts that could have fried some electronic
components in it which could be permanently damaged, even if the PowerBook
is now let to dry completely...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Brooks's Law prov.: "Adding manpower to a late software project makes it
later" -- a result of the fact that the expected advantage from splitting
development work among N programmers is O(N) (that is, proportional to N),
but the complexity and communications cost associated with coordinating and
then merging their work is O(N^2) (that is, proportional to the square of
N). The quote is from Fred Brooks, a manager of IBM's OS/360 project and
author of "The Mythical Man-Month" (Addison-Wesley, 1975, ISBN
0-201-00650-2), an excellent early book on software engineering.