Hi again,

     To get straight to the point: I am currently thinking of buying
a PowerBook G4 15" 1,33 GHz Combo with 512 MB DDR 333 SDROM in 2 SO-DIMMs
and with a backlit keyboard (which as a touch-typist I don't really need,
but I just wanna have it for the cool factor :) ). That would cost me
around 2200 euro with discount for [PhD] students. (I am currently residing
in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.) It seems that with some slight effort
I can afford that.

What I would want to do with it... Nothing heavy, I suppose. :)
I was thinking about some basic stuff: emails/WWW, music, office work,
writing, getting to know Mac OS X better (perhaps with some programming?),
driving presentations, and on top of that maybe using Photoshop/InDesign
for simple design/webdesign/typesetting. Possibly iPod in the near
future.

Basically, I just want to get a Macintosh after all these years. :)
I've always been a Mac-less Mac fan (cf. www.aci.com.pl/mwichary/mac20th).
I come from Poland and Macs were pretty nonexistent there. However,
working and studying in design circles in Holland now, I see a lot
of Macs here and I am slowly getting to the point that I just finally
HAVE to get one myself.

I was thinking about a stationary unit, but then I realized that I
use my notebook more and more often these days. I don't really like
iBooks so much (both design- and feature-wise) and I don't want to wait
for the second generation of mobile G5s.

I currently have two PCs: one 800 MHz desktop machine with a nice 17" LCD
and a newer 1,4 GHz 15" notebook, which I find dreadful, but have to
drag to work everyday. Both seem sufficient for what I do. I also have
a wireless AirPort Extreme network at home (both computers are capable
of wireless networking).

My questions are:
- is the described system good enough (or too good) for me?

- can you upgrade/change the memory later with generic sticks,
  or can you only do it via the official Apple stores?

- can I drive both digital LCD screens and analogue projectors from
  this PowerBook out of the box?

- is AppleCare REALLY recommended? (yeah, I know it is, but it's
  a really steep icing on top of the already hefty cake... I guess
  I need some horror stories to convince me ;) )

  also, you have to buy it straight with the computer, right? or can
  you purchase it later?

- I assume that I can't buy this system at my local Apple Store, but
  I have to order it as BTO from Apple Store. How much time do you
  reckon it should take for the machine to be delivered?

Again, thanks in advance for help and suggestions.

     Marcin Wichary
e:\> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
w:\> www.aci.com.pl/mwichary >> Attached
w:\> www.aci.com.pl/mwichary/GUIdebook >> Graphical User Interface gallery