On 6/8/04 6:40 PM, "Marcin Wichary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>      To get straight to the point: I am currently thinking of buying
> a PowerBook G4 15" 1,33 GHz Combo with 512 MB DDR 333 SDROM in 2 SO-DIMMs
> and with a backlit keyboard (which as a touch-typist I don't really need,
> but I just wanna have it for the cool factor :) ). That would cost me
> around 2200 euro with discount for [PhD] students. (I am currently residing
> in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.) It seems that with some slight effort
> I can afford that.

I would recommend getting the 512mb on ONE SODIMM.

IIANM, one SODIMM is "fixed" and cannot be replaced later.  So if you order
it with 2x256, you will always have one 256mb SODIMM in there, and you can
only increase to 1gb + 256mb by putting a 1gb in the 2nd slot.

If you start out with 512 in one SODIMM you will always have that one, but
you can get another 512 SODIMM and have 1gb RAM now, and in few years
upgrade that 2nd SODIMM to 1gb and have 1.5gb RAM.

(I'd love to hear that I am wrong and we can replace both SODIMMs in
Powerbooks, as I currently have 2x512MB SODIMMs in my 15"/1.5Ghz PB.

> - I assume that I can't buy this system at my local Apple Store, but
>   I have to order it as BTO from Apple Store. How much time do you
>   reckon it should take for the machine to be delivered?

I ordered mine the day that the new ones were released and I had it in
little over a week (ordered Monday, came the following Tuesday or Wednesday
IIRC).

The local Apple store may have it, call to find out!

TjL

Sent using the Microsoft Entourage 2004 for Mac Test Drive.