On 6/8/04 7:21 PM, "Samantha Goodson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Today I ordered a refurb 12" Ibook 800Mhz G4/256MB/30GB/Combo from the apple
> store.  This is a big jump for me, as I'm writing this on a 250Mhz G3 upgraded
> 1400cs running OS 8.6.

WOW! I once upgraded an office from 386/486 machines running DOS to
Pentium3s running Win2k.  They skipped Win9x altogether like you skipped
OS9!!

> The ibook was as much as I could afford at one go, but I'd like to get
> AppleCare, max out the ram, and get an airport card and base station.

1) RAM
2) Airport and base station (checkout AirTunes!)
3) AppleCare

Unless you drop your iBook, in which case I would suggest getting AppleCare
first :-)

RAM will effect everything else that you do, so get it first.  Airport and
base station is a nice addition.  If you don't need AppleScript, you can get
a non-Apple base for cheaper than Airport (although Airport is nice and
easier IMO).

> I"m also looking for a good handbook on Panther.  Any recommendations there?

I hear the Missing Manual is great.  I wonder if our library has it, or will
order it...

TjL

Sent using the Microsoft Entourage 2004 for Mac Test Drive.