on 13/06/04 22:34, Gary Goldberg at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> There is no need for a cardbus card. I had an ORiNICO Silver card in a
>> Wallstreet and the card worked right off the box with the AirPort software
>> in OS 9.
>
>> -Laurent.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand. Where DOES such a card go, if not in a Cardbus
> slot? In an expansion bay?
>
> Seems I deleted all my Airport and Ethernet  and networking software
> when I upgraded from 8.1 to 9.1 (at a user group - I only actually have
> the 9.04 CD and 9.1 upgrade download).
>
> I should mention that my intent is to be able to use my WS on the
> road at a "hot spot", not at home (thus I'm not looking for a base
> station right now)

Apparently, I was wrong in saying that the original AirPort card from Apple
would fit a PCMCIA slot. Someone mentioned that they are cardbus cards, this
I don't know. The point is, even if you could put one in one of your PCMCIA
slot, it would still not work since the genuine AirPort cards from Apple
need an external antenna. On a Macintosh that has an internal AirPort slot,
there is also a little wire connected to an antenna inside the case of the
said Macintosh. You put the card in its slot, connect the wire et voilą!

Now, in your case, you need a card similar to the Lucent Wavelan card. I had
an ORiNOCO branded card which was just a Wavelan rebranded. Other listers
have also mentioned other cards. These cards were designed to be use in a
PCMCIA slot and they have a built-in antenna.

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

coaster n.: 1. Unuseable CD produced during failed attempt at writing to
writeable or re-writeable CD media. Certainly related to the coaster-like
shape of a CD, and the relative value of these failures. "I made a lot of
coasters before I got a good CD." 2. Useless CDs received in the mail from
the likes of AOL, MSN, CI$, Prodigy, ad nauseam.