on 14/06/04 21:01, Gary Goldberg at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>> I should mention that my intent is to be able to use my WS on the
>>> road at a "hot spot", not at home (thus I'm not looking for a base
>>> station right now)
>
>> I understand now what you are getting at.  The WallStreet has CardBus
>> slots true.  CardBus slots however are a superset of PC Card
>> (PCMCIA).  CardBus can handle faster transfers.  So your WallStreet
>> can use either CardBus or simple PC Card devices.  For 802.11b
>> (11Mbps) you only need PC Card.  For this the Agere or Orinoco cards
>> will work directly with Apple's Airport software under OS 9.  This is
>> what I used prior to migrating to OS X on my WallStreet.
>
> My WS manual says it's a PC card slot but the USB adapter I have
> in there is a Cardbus card, I think. Whatever.
> Anyway...assuming I reinstall the Airport software, do I need
> my Ethernet-related extensions, too?
> Will I then need any 3rd party software or will the Agere or Orinoco
> card work at a hot spot right out of the box?
> Just in case I want to use my WS in another room, will I be able
> to if I buy a[n Airport?] base station? The antenna issue has me
> a bit confused.

After the AirPort software, you will need to re-install the Ethernet-related
extensions, since Ethernet is the protocol and AirPort will be the
transport. If you have the transport but no protocol, then it's not any
better than having the protocol but no transport.

If you get an Agere, ORiNOCO or Lucent Wavelan card, you should not need to
install any third party extension in OS 9. They should just be recognized as
genuine AirPort cards. You should be able to move your Wallstreet in another
room and connect to your future AirPort base station without any problem.
Forget the antenna issue.

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

CLM /C-L-M/: [Sun: `Career Limiting Move'] 1. n. An action endangering one's
future prospects of getting plum projects and raises, and possibly one's
job: "His Halloween costume was a parody of his manager. He won the prize
for `best CLM'." 2. adj. Denotes extreme severity of a bug, discovered by a
customer and obviously missed earlier because of poor testing: "That's a CLM
bug!"