Bob;
I trashed preferences you suggested and ran Tech Tool Lite. I removed Bookmarks folder but have been unable to locate Netscape cache folder or Netscape Global History file. The problem is now less frequent but too early to know if it is corrected completely. Many thanks to both Bob and Laurent for their response.
Bill