On 17/06/04 15:48, "Imal Tornapart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, I'm Dan.
>
> I'm brand new to the world of Mac (from years as a PC builder/fixer) and
> have a nice G3 400 Pismo 2000, 20GB, 576MB, running 9.2.2 and X.  I have
> been having a crash course on the whole Mac world for a week now, for the
> first time ever, and am liking it so far.
>
> I've been following this wireless thread, but I still have some reading to
> do before I commit.  I must admit I am undecided as to my choice in wireless
> hardware.  Apple hardware seems solid but limited in price range, yet the
> affordable third-party gear seems to be touchier to get working on Macs.
>
> I'm a low-end computing person, and would like to get as good a deal on the
> wireless gear as I have so far on the box and accessories I've put together.
> I don't need the fastest bestest gear on the block, but you-all seem to
> share the same attitude of getting it working and keeping it for as long as
> possible.
>
> I have read so much conflicting data, even at Apple.com, that I can't
> decide.  So where can I get hard technical info on the hardware in this
> Pismo?  Is that a PCMCIA or an Airport slot?  Will one or another work
> better with ClassicStumbler?  On and on..
>
> Thanks for looking at my long-winded rambling.  I'll tighten it up next
> time. :)

AppleSpecs can sometimes help
<http://www.info.apple.com/support/applespec.html>. For the PowerBook
(FireWire or "Pismo"),
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=43126>.

For a more detailed description, there is also EveryMac.com
<http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g3/stats/powerbook_g3_400_f
w.html>

You can use any wireless router that are 802.11b compliant. Then, use System
Profiler on OS X to check if your PowerBook has an internal AirPort card. If
it doesn't, you can probably get one cheap on eBay or maybe SmallDogs.
Unless you plan to transfer huge files on your network with another
computer, you don't really need 802.11g (54Mbps). If all what you're
planning to do is surf the Internet, receive and send emails, then 802.11b
(11Mbps) is plenty fast.

-Laurent.