On Jun 17, 2004, at 6:39 PM, Bob wrote:

<snip>
You can use any wireless router that are 802.11b compliant.

That's a pretty broad statement, Laurent. Can I clarify it a little bit?

You *can* use any 802.11b compliant WiFi router...if, and only
if...there is a driver for it, either from the manufacturer, from the
OS itself, or if a 3rd-party diver supports it. That applies to all
OS versions, but especially OS X. If you can find one that meets that
requirement, go for whatever makes you happy.

Well, I would mostly tend to agree with Laurent's statement. The card that you place in the Powerbook will need a driver. If the router (or access point or whatever it is) supports setup via web browser (which most recent ones do), you won't need a driver to set it up. I have seen older access points (or routers) that can only be set up over USB initially. For those, you would probably need an appropriate driver to set the access point up. Fortunately, those are few and far between now if you purchase new. With used models, you may take your chances. Once the initial setup is done, you should be able to use any 802.11b compatible access point (or router) with an Apple Airport card for internet access.

Steve