On 6/25/04 6:23 PM, "Marcin Wichary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 1. I have visited my insurance company to ask about insuring the
> notebook. I have yet to go through the detailed terms and conditions
> (they're in Dutch, which I barely understand), but during a quick
> conversation the lady at the counter said something like "the insurance
> is only valid if the notebook is visibly damaged." I am new to this
> kind of thing; is this normal? What happens if I drop the notebook
> (knock on wood) and the hard disk dies, but you can't see it?

I dunno how common this is - the only provision my insurance has is that it
won't cover theft from an unattended car. Interestingly, my car insurance
does cover this! I think that most of the damage coverage you are looking
for would come in under the provision of visual damage with a few
exceptions. Anyway - be sure that damage caused by electrical storm or
surges is covered. We are less likely to be damaged by an electrical surge
since the transformer is outside the computer but it can still happen,
especially if the computer is connected to the phone or network via wire.
Also, look at theft coverage. Mine covers the cost of replacing my computer
(full replacement), software, and the cost of renting a replacement while
waiting for repair or replacement.

> 2. I have access to Mac OS X Public Beta and I might have also access
> to Mac OS X DP editions and 10.0/10.1. Will they work at my new
> PowerBook? Is it possible to partition the hard disk so that, say, 75 gigs
> are devoted to Panther and 5 gigs to one of the older systems, and they
> won't clash?

The new computer will come with Panther so you needn't worry about older
versions - which probably won't run anyway. As Apple releases new computers
there is a tendency for older OS versions to not be compatible. For example,
my tangerine ibook came with OS 8.x and OS 7.x wouldn't boot it as I found
out (not really expecting otherwise) when the drive crashed big time on the
road all I had was an old version of Norton Utilities with me.

Cheers
david