The National Enquirer reports at 9:03 PM +0200 6/27/04, Marcin Wichary wrote:

>: >: Are you buying this through a dealer? If so, they might set
>: >: this up for you - the partitions, that is, not the multiple OS install.
>: >
>: >I don't mind doing it myself, I only need to know how to do it first.
>:
>: There may be better sites, but take a look at these instructions on
>: taking apart your PB:
>: (...)
>
>Surely I don't need to open my newly-bought PowerBook to partition the
>hard disk and install one or two other OSes on it?

No, not if you are only needing to partition an installed drive. I
looked back at the post to which I previously responded, and it was a
4th or 5th generation response with most of the original information
deleted. So, I took it to mean that the dealer was going to install
the drive and then partition it. Your comment then, would have
referred to installing the drive yourself, if you had the
instructions, then partition it.

Obviously, that's not quite what you meant. Sorry I misinterpreted
what your comment.

Actually, partitioning is very easy. The hardest part is A.) deciding
how big to make the partitions (unless you have a huge drive); B.)
making sure you install the correct drivers for the various Operating
Systems you will be using. And FWIW give some thought to what you
want to name the various partitions before you partition the drive.
You can change the names later, but sometimes that involves hassles
with aliases and path names. Just as an idea, some us use names that
describe what will be in a particular partition -- Boot Drive
Applications, Data, Utilities, Downloads, Scrap, CD Burn etc.

I went back to re-read your previous posts in this thread (better
late than never <g>) and you sound like you want to install a couple
of versions of Panther as well as Jaguar on different partitions. I
don't use Panther, so I'll let someone who does, give you
instructions on how to partition your drive. But it should be a piece
of cake. (I have 8 partitions and 5 Operating Systems on my drive.)
Just keep in mind the two caveats I mentioned above.

Good Luck,

Bob