The National Enquirer reports at 1:42 AM -0700 7/2/04, Zoltan Batiz wrote:

>On Jul 1, 2004, at 9:21 PM, Mark Rath, LSW, Coordinator wrote:
>
> > I tried this once and got no response so - here goes again:
> >
> > I know very little about airport but I am slowly learning - I
>have a  second
> > generation iBook (indigo, firewire) and want to put an aiport card in it. I
> > know I can't use airport extreme - what are my other options?
>Also I  need an
> > aiport base station in my home where all I have is dial up. Which airport
> > base station do I need to get? And what is a fair price for all of  this on
> > ebay or if I buy from another place

<snip>
> Don't pay more than $95.00 for a graphite or snow, as the Extreme
> station is under $200 new.

Unless the bottom has fallen out of the prices in the past 2-3 weeks,
I wouldn't quite go that strong. I know the price of a Dual-Ethernet
(Snow) Base Station was running between $100 and $150. I would think
anything up to $130 or $140 would be reasonable. If the prices have
dropped, I haven't run across it yet.

> The only real difference between the
> Extreme (802.11g) and the regular (802.11b) are the transfer speeds
> between computers within the wireless network.  Extreme works best
> with a T1 business connection as the source.

It's most advantageous if one is going to be transferring huge files
from computer to computer on a frequent basis.

>With a dial up
> connection as your main source for the internet, your best option
> would be a graphite base station.

That *wouldn't* be my recommendation. As Laurent pointed out, the
Graphite ABS has had too many internal problems to make it a
guaranteed trouble-free purchase.  There's no way of knowing whether
a hack decided to "fix" his own Graphite unit and made a royal mess
of the insides. Plus, the Snow ABS has the extra Ethernet port, so a
future upgrade to broadband won't require a new ABS. The OP will be
able to connect via a Local Area Network (hard-wired Ethernet cable)
*and* Wide Area Network (broadband Internet) with the Snow ABS.

> > When shopping for one on eBay, be
> > sure to check that it has a built in modem, as the lesser expensive
> > ones didn't.

Excellent advice. That applies to *any* used Apple ABS.

Bob