On Jul 13, 2004, at 12:27 AM, Joshua B. Watkins wrote:

Hello all, thank you for your responses on my last post.
have a few more questions here for the professionals. Is there any way to
disable some of the fancy onscreen menu shading, and moving, etc, it seems
to really slow up the computer having to do all this fancy stuff on the
desktop and in folders and opening stuff. Next question, I guess I made a
mistake by buying the 30gig hd version, out of the box I have 18 gigs
left...now call me crazy, but the OS and the programs which don't seem like
there is a whole lot, like 6 web browsers<--still lost with that, 12gigs
worth of stuff? What can I delete etc, this is my first OSX machine, so I'm
not sure if I just drag the folder into the trash that gets rid of
everything, is there prefs and whatnot like Classic had, please excuse my
lack of knowledge, but this is a whole new system for me. Also web
browsers, there are like 5 installed on the machine, which is better the X
versions or the Classic versions, and why is there a need for both? Alright
well I will leave it at this.. Thank you in advance

Josh

Josh, I recommend and so would most of the peeps on this forum that any new computer out of the box should always be re-formatted and started from scratch. You should completely erase your hard drive, bust out the CD-ROM's that came with your computer and do a clean, fresh, problem free install. Trust me, after it's all over, you will notice your computer is running VERY fast. As far as partitions go, some recommend as much as 5 for various reasons, but I only have two. One for everything X and another for all OS 9 stuff.

A note on web browsers. . .all do a pretty good job, with the exception of browsers based on open source mozilla like Safari, Firefox, and of course Mozilla and Netscape just to name a few. Mozilla based browsers tend to load pages faster than others like Internet Explorer. IE is pretty good on Mac, but forget it on PC's; security nightmare. Believe it or not, there's still websites that load better in one or the other browser. I've had websites that you couldn't even read on IE, but under Netscape or Safari it looked fine. On my Mac, I've got Safari, Netscape, Firefox and IE. I used to use IE for years, then went to Netscape when 6 came out but now I "live" in Safari most of the time. Seems to do a good job. What it comes down to is your preference. Some would rather call there favorite websites "favorites" in which case you would use IE. Others call 'em "bookmarks" in which case you'd go with almost all the others. I personally think you should have at least two browsers for those "picky" sites. Hope all this helps,

Zoltan

THE BLUETOOTH MASTER

Also, if you have any problems supporting Microsoft by using IE don't worry about it bro. IE is a free program developed by their rather talented, dedicated Macintosh team that have been quoted "under the cuff" saying things like, "why can't all computers be based on the great hardware that is Mac". Besides, from what I've seen over the years the software they make for Mac is ironically much more powerful and prolific than the garbage they produce for PC.