Zoltan, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>ut I only have two.  One
>for everything X and another for all OS 9 stuff.

I also have two. One for Applications and the OS X system (8 GB with 4
free at the moment, I don't even have OS 9 drivers) and one for my user
home folder, which in it's turn contains a hierarchy of everything I
produce and everything connected to my user (me), like settings and add-
ons to the machine. My user is an admin, but I'm contemplating turning
that off and only turn it on if I need to. This to avoid apps from
messing with stuff it shouldn't. In Panther this seems fully doable, but
I haven't got into that direction yet.

What this setup gives me is a partition that is erasable and re-
installable while not affecting my user home folder. Usually, if I do
reinstall the OS for some rare reason, the OS will usually give the only
admin user the same system ID as before so that user remain the owner of
my old home folder.
If not, I reclaim my home folder, by using the main admin user that an OS
X install normally will give you, and make my user the owner of every
file inside my users home folder. Then I delete the new home folder that
the installation gave me. Normally I do that in the Terminal with "sudo
chown -R /UserName", as that under Jaguar was the only reliable way to
have the owner changed in every file and folder in the hierarchy. I
prefer this to "save and install" as I can be sure nothing odd goes into
the System. I'd probably use a third partition for Apps, if not so many
of them wanted to put stuff elsewhere to function properly. So for me,
the OS and Apps are quite closely knitted.

This setup also give me one central point for backing up; the home
folder, which makes it more likely that this will happen on a regular and
reliable basis. I usually make an archive of the lot and burn it to DVD
if possible. As I'm now reviving my interest in music I'm planning in
backing up the music production separately as those probably will fill
several DVDs. Or maybe I'll have to get into drive mirroring.
I make use of Apples folders for main organization and also have added
quite a few of my own. So what I produce goes into Documents (with the
exception of email and pictures, no matter what it is as long as I am the
producer) and settings and application assisting files that I actively
add to the app go into the Library folder, email related files into
"Email", music I listen to into "Music" and so on.
Under Documents I have my own hierarchy which have evolved during the
years (and still is) and some of which I haven't produced, like
documentation and "facts" and knowledge, now go into Library, where
appropriate. Some of this stuff is slowly moving into databases I'm
working on.

The method I use to put the home folder on a separate partition is to
change the directory for my user in Netinfo Manager. This method have one
flaw, in that it doesn't allow me to change the name of the partition
unless I also change it in Netinfo Manager. I'd love to find a method
that doesn't rely on the actual path to the home folder. Possibly
Symlinks could be better, but I'm not sure about this.

The only downside I have experienced is that I've been sloppy in having
the same language active when migrating over several machines and at some
point the Finder settings for the names of the Applenamed folders inside
the user home folder got stuck in english.