On Jul 13, 2004, at 12:33 PM, Claire Hart wrote:

I am not technically inclined at all, although I enjoy computers. However, I've never heard of re-formatting a new computer. I just got my new powerbook last week. Why is this recommended?

What language do you prefer?
Apple doesn't know, so it includes all of them (that it has available)

What kind of printer do you have?
Apple doesn't know, so it includes all of them

Do you have need for all the apps in /Applications?
Apple doesn't know, so it includes all of them

Do you need "Classic"?
Apple doesn't know, so it includes it.

And so on.... Apple (and Microsoft) tends to include everything, to make it easier. When you install a new printer, there's probably a driver on there, so you don't have to go hunt one down, or get the dreaded "Please insert your installation CD to install" (which is lots of fun when you have a laptop and aren't anywhere near your CD)

While this makes the user experience easier, but adds a lot of stuff that you don't need (although I never thought I'd use Classic since this is my first Mac but found a couple of old tools that work better in Classic).

By reformatting and reinstalling, you make sure that you are getting just what you want on there. Also, it lets folks repartition their hard drive if they want to, which is something I don't recommend unless you really know what you are doing, because running out of space on one partition and having a lot left in the other is really frustrating.

It also gives you the experience of reinstalling **before you you have to** which is generally a lot less stressful than trying to figure out how to reinstall when you are already frustrated because your machine isn't working right. If you are not familiar with the experience, it would be a good exercise to figure out how... although you may never have to do it, it's empowering to know that you know how to if you had to.

TjL

ps - Delocalizer saved me less than 1gb of space (about 800mb IIRC) which on an 80gb machine doesn't sound like much, but if I'm never going to use it, why have it on there?