on 28/07/04 02:17, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi to all, i'm writing this on my brand spanking new handy dandy high speed
> low drag iBook G4, 14" screen, 768 megs RAM, OS X 10.3.4.
> This is the first actually new Mac I've ever had, and I words cannot express
> how thrilled I am to be running it and not have to rely on my Compaq presario
> PC which I've learned to despise.
> Besides a quick hello, I actuallywanted to post some questions about a topic
> I've never really put much thought to.  i've always been tied to desktop
> computers, and as such have never noticed how clumsy and awkward chords are on
> a laptop like this one.  As such, i'm thinking of taking advantage of the
> built in Airport Extreme card, and hooking it together with my older
> computers.  I've already asked other questions concerning this on other lists,
> so I'll keep this concise and different from the other questions I've already
> posed elsewhere:  How much gear will I need to buy?  Will an airport extreme
> base station do the trick for networking, or will I need to buy some more
> hardware and software as well?  Keep inmind, i had hoped to put PCs and macs
> on this wireless network.
> Next, The school i go to has a couple wireless hotspots, but is PC oriented.
> What are the odds that I will be able to interface using these hotspots and my
> iBook?
> TIA,
> Brian

The AirPort Extreme Base Station should be able to network both wireless and
wired computers. If you have more than one Ethernet wired computer, you will
need an Ethernet hub or, better, a switch.

As for the school, you should be able to use those hotspots without any
problem. There are even applications that will scan for available network
(like KisMAC).

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

fat-finger vt.: 1. To introduce a typo while editing in such a way that the
resulting manglification of a configuration file does something useless,
damaging, or wildly unexpected. "NSI fat-fingered their DNS zone file and
took half the net down again." 2. More generally, any typo that produces
dramatically bad results.