That is exactly what happens with my iBook 12" also, as the lights go on one
at a time until the battery is at full charge, at least so far as the iBook
is concerned. They then go out, but can be turned on by pushing the flush
mounted button next to the lights on the bottom of the battery, so you can
check the charge status of the battery without turning the iBook on.

Tom