on 28/08/04 10:19, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> My friends who are into astrology would explain that this is all happening due
> to Mercury being retrograde through Sept. 6th. I think I'd attribute it to
> lousy planning on Apple's part regarding back-to-school, end-of-summer
> purchases.
>
> Due to damage to my dear old Pismo, I had to get an iBook-quick.  Since I
> wanted a few enhancements, such as Superdrive and more memory, I thought (poor
> thinking on my part) I might get it quicker by going to the source, so I
> ordered online.
>
> First problem was that Apple is switching from a loan program to financing
> through a  new Apple MBNA credit card, and they haven't made the appropriate
> changes to the web site, so the process was so confusing and convoluted I
> ended up speaking to a customer rep rather than doing everything online.
>
> Be that as it may, the site says i-Books will be shipped within 2-3 days of
> order -- I did that on Thursday the 19th, and the rep. didn't tell me there'd
> be any delay. When I got a confirmation, it now said 5-7 business days after
> order. Even worse, they waited 3 working days (5 total) after I ordered
> (again, I'd spoken to a live customer rep, and had gone through the whole
> financing thing with him) to call me and ask whether this was a real order.
> DUH!
>
> Now, I've just gotten an e-mail saying it won't be shipped until Sept. 2.  I
> never would have gone through the online Apple Store if I'd known the delays
> were going to be that long.
>
> Hope others may benefit from my sad, exasperating experience.

David,

Don't worry. The estimates are worst case scenario. I just ordered a 17"
PowerBook. Initially, they said it wouldn't ship until September 2nd.
Yesterday evening (August 28), I've got an email from Apple saying that my
PowerBook has shipped and they provided me with a tracking number!

I had similar worries and talked to a co-worker who ordered a 17" also a few
weeks ago. He told me the exact same story and said not to worry.

So, based on his and my experience, wait a little bit and you could be
pleasantly surprised!

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

fat electrons n.: Old-time hacker David Cargill's theory on the causation of
computer glitches. Your typical electric utility draws its line current out
of the big generators with a pair of coil taps located near the top of the
dynamo. When the normal tap brushes get dirty, they take them off line to
clean them up, and use special auxiliary taps on the bottom of the coil.
Now, this is a problem, because when they do that they get not ordinary or
`thin' electrons, but the fat'n'sloppy electrons that are heavier and so
settle to the bottom of the generator. These flow down ordinary wires just
fine, but when they have to turn a sharp corner (as in an integrated-circuit
via), they're apt to get stuck. This is what causes computer glitches.