Dan Palka said:

>Brand new hard drive.  Didn't fix the problem.
OK

>> , a PMU reset,
>
>How do I do this on the Wallstreet?

From "PowerBook and iBook: Resetting Power Manager":

"PowerBook G3 Series (M4753)
1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
 2. Simultaneously press Shift-Fn (function)-Ctrl (control)-power.
 3. Wait 5 seconds.
 4. Press the power button to restart the PowerBook."

>>  Open
>> firmware PRAM reset
>
>Is this something different from the normal Flower + Option + P + R?

In my experience it seems more fundamental. I've had problems go away
with this procedure that an oldie PRAM upstart reset didn't affect. I'm
not sure exactly why, but I'm sure there has been an article somewhere
about it. The key your refer to as "Flower" is called "Command".

>> and OS reinstall (aka a clean reinstallation)
>
>Not that this would make a difference, since it all happens before the
>OS comes into play.  But yes I've had 20 billion os installs on three
>different hard drives and this has nothing to do with it.
The boot sectors certainly could affect things. I was implying a drive
reformat. But if you hve new drive, formatted by Disk Utility, then I'd
forget the drive for now.

>> rom problem, so I'd try with a second CPU daughter card as well if
>> nothing else resolved the issue.
>
>It has a brand new 500mhz G4 in it.  It displayed the same problem with
>both the new G4 and the old G3.
ruled out then.