The National Enquirer reports at 10:21 AM -0500 9/26/04, Dan Palka wrote:

>On Sep 26, 2004, at 10:17 AM, Dan Palka wrote:
>
> >> Really? Do you remember any of he other five? I've called it
> >> "cloverleaf" for years to tell non-Mac people how to do
> >> something...was that on the list?
> >>
> >> I'd like to see the whole list

>Heres a link to a low end mac article that's kindof intersting,
>although I can't find the Macaddict one.  The Macaddict one wasn't even
>an article really, just a blurb 'Some alternative names" with the names
>listed.
>
>http://lowendmac.com/lab/02/0718.html

It's also  been called the "Apple" Key because of the apple silhouette on it.

But I think what Mikael was trying to say (if I can try and translate
his meaning) is that in language things go by specific names in order
to be understood properly. And people who don't use the proper name
for things aren't regarded as seriously as those who do, (If that's
not Mikael's viewpoint, it certainly is mine.

You can call a basketball "that round thing" if you want to, and
still be somewhat accurate. But I sure wouldn't take someone
seriously who called a basketball "that round thing."

I feel the same way about people who call the Command key by another
name. The first thought that goes through my mind is "That's a newbie
that doesn't know any better." It doesn't matter to me how many
alternatives MacAddict puts on a list.

So my feeling is the more serious a person wants to be taken, the
more accurately they need to communicate.

I'm not trying to denigrate Dan, or anybody else. I'm just explaining
why someone might correct a person if they refer to the Command key
as the Flower key or Cloverleaf key.

AOL has a reputation of cultivating users who don't know much more
than how to turn on the power key. I hope Mac users don't reduce
themselves to that level. I think it's a responsibility of seasoned
users to help newer users to understand and adapt to the established
vernacular and method of doing things -- without being rude,
condescending or egotistical. One of the joys of using a computer is
learning new things all of the time. That doesn't mean every user
should become an expert, but the person that is too lazy or stubborn
to learn as they go along will be a leach for the rest of their
virtual life.

If I have come across as rude, condescending or egotistical, I did
not mean to. And I apologize.

Bob