On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Dan Palka wrote:

> That's fine and dandy, and I usually do say Command when talking to other
> Mac users, but to myself and other non-mac users I still say Flower out of
> habit.  I like saying flower, and if it was up to me, I'd say flower all the
> time.  It makes the Mac sound more friendly.
>
> If that makes me sound unprofessional or not serious enough, then you need
> to do one thing...
>
> Lighten up!

Unless you *are* a Mac professional, what's the big deal? Is there a
*need* for you to be taken seriously (eg "grave", vs simply in good
faith)?

This is an issue with any field of specialized knowledge. Certain terms
have very specific meanings within that field. As a greater protion of the
general public become familiar with the field those terms will find
their way into the vocabulary, but will often lack the specifity inheirent
in the term originally. Examples from the fields of medicine and law come
to mind.

BTW - nothing frustrated me more when trying to learn Windows so many
years ago than simply being told (for example): Hit F1, Tab, F3 and Enter.
No thought at all to tell me what those actions entailed, just be a
monkey and push those buttons. Using the term "flower" brings back that
feeling. Visually descriptive, but meaningless without clarification.
Guess that's why we have specific terms.

..and we really don't need to make the Mac *sound* friendly, do we? It
just is ;-)

--
Non Illegitimi Carborundum