on 30/09/04 23:58, Harry D. Corsover at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Sep 30, 2004, at 6:54 AM, K wrote:
>
>>  I usually run the Disk Repair and Repair Permissions from the
>> original Panther disk in addition to Disk Warrior 3.2 about once a
>> month.
>
> A note about the above. Repair Permissions should be run from the copy
> of Disk Utility on the hard drive, NOT the original Panther disk. This
> is because the one on your hard drive is the newest one. Running it
> from the Panther disk could cause problems.
>
> Repair Disk must be run from the Panther disk, since you can't repair
> permissions while booted from the same drive.

Actually, the reason why you should run it when booted normally from your OS
X system disk and use the version in /Applications/Utilities is that it uses
Receipts of installed packages that are in /Library/Receipts. You'll see a
bunch of files of type Installer packages. They are not actually the real
installer package but some kind of stub with information about what was
installed and what should be the permissions...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

careware /keir'weir/ n.: A variety of shareware for which either the author
suggests that some payment be made to a nominated charity or a levy directed
to charity is included on top of the distribution charge. Syn. charityware;
compare crippleware, sense 2.