At 8:34 AM -0700 10/3/04, Bruce Johnson wrote:
On Sunday, October 3, 2004, at 03:05 AM, cwrayfield wrote:

I have a Pismo w/G4 upgrade, OX 10.3.5. I'd like to download photos from an Olympus SmartMedia card. An OSB reader (by PNY) I bought at Staples said it didn't need a driver, but it wouldn't mount. The System Profiler showed a USB mass storage device. Rebooting with the reader connected revealed a message that the Mac couldn't read the contents of the connected disk. Search for drivers for this on the web was unsuccessful.

It's possible the SmartMedia card is corrupt. Not necessarily so corrupt that it won't work in the camera but the Mac might be pickier. If you can save the pictures elsewhere then format the card in the camera.

Try reversing the process of inserting the card and connecting the reader.

I suspect something's wrong with the reader. I've never found one yet that needed a driver in OS X.

If a reader supports the Mass Storage standard then they don't need a driver. Earlier readers that predate the Mass Storage standard need their own driver. Under OS X I had to install drivers for both SmartDisk and Antec card readers.

It does sound like this is a USB Mass Storage compatible reader though.

-- Clark Martin Redwood City, CA, USA Macintosh / Internet Consulting