When nothing is open and all applications (according to the dock) are
not open, and my menu bar has "finder" as the open application", and I
click "help", there be nothing in the resulting opened window. I have
Help's own red/yellow/green buttons, the left/right arrows, the little
house button, the "ask a question" field, and nothing in the white area
below it. The left/right arrows are black, but go nowhere. Clicking
the little house takes me nowhere. When I type anything in the "ask a
question" field and hit "enter", nothing happens as a result.

I'm using Panther on a 17" PB 1.5GHz. My iMac DV400 also is running on
Panther. On my iMac, it works fine. I close all apps, click "Help",
and get the usual stuff filling in the big white space: the big X on
the left half and a few links on the right, such as What's New, etc...

Claire

Does the help menu in the Finder says "Mac Help"? Have you checked, in Help
Viewer, what is in the "Library" menu? any "Mac Help" there? If so, what
happen if you select it?

-Laurent.

I selected "Mac Help" under "Library", and the Mac Help window filled in as it should. I clicked here and there, and it works fine. Yeah! I quit it, then opened it again, and it was blank again, requiring me to go up to the menu and select it again! Thanks for helping me get access to it, but any clues as to why I have to add the extra step?

Claire