Not at all. Think about it like this: velocity is change in displacement divided by change in time, right? That is,
v = delta x/delta t

Now, if d is specified in metres, and t in seconds, v must be in units of metres/seconds, or m/s. See, in any equation, final units will be specified by replacing each variable in the equation by its respective unit. This is known as dimensional analysis. Other examples:

acceleration is defined as change in velocity divided by change in time:
a = delta v/delta t

since v has units m/s, and t has units s, a must have units [a] = [v] / [t] = m/s/s, or m/s^2.

Try thinking about the inverse of your equation:

1048576B / 1024B = 1024. So, to get 1MB (technically 1MiB), you multiply 1024B by 1024. If you multiply 1024B by 1024B, you get 1048576B^2.

Cheers,
Ben