At 04:48 PM -0700 10/23/2004, Dennis B. Swaney wrote:
Also, now that LaCie is selling 1 TeraByte hard drives,

LaCie lied: it's not really a 1 TB HD. It's four 250 GB ATA-133 drives in the one box. They're do an internal RAID-type array by using some custom firmware (makes the box smell like one big HD).

Anyone in earshot of this list using such a device on their Macs? I've been wondering how they fare when one of the disks gaks. Does that kill the whole array or just leave it smaller? (iow, I'm not sure how lacie's firmware behaves)

how long before 1 PetaByte hard drives come out?

*yawn* Petabyte arrays are so yesterday! :)

A lot of companies are using exabyte arrays...  That's 1,024 PB.

I haven't seen anyone with a zettabyte array, yet.

ug.  The backup nightmare!

- Dan.
--
  data is like gas, it expands to fill all available space