On 10/26/04 10:34 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 07:50 PM -0400 10/26/2004, Richard Smykla wrote:
>>
>> AFAIK, You'll have to boot from OS 9 to get at those files.
>
> By decree of L'Jobs, the new PowerBooks cannot boot OS 9.
>
>> Of course, you'll need to find a machine other than your PB to do it.
>
> That doesn't help read CDs on the road -- which is the point of
> buying a PB instead of a PM.
>

> Why is it so hard to make Macs work in the real world?
> sigh.

UDF is a great idea that in the real world doesn't work so great. When Sony
released their mini CD based Mavika cameras my employer bought a dozen of
them because the floppy based system had worked so flawlessly. After 6
months we dumped them because we experienced so many failures. (Note, we are
mainly a PC enterprise so the issue wasn't Mac support.)

The only time Macs don't work well in the real world, in my experience, is
when we run up against marginal PC technology that has been forced upon us.
Of course, since PC technology so often fails us, PC problems are taken as a
matter of course while Mac problems infuriate us due, at least in part, to
their infrequency.

david