At 01:54 AM -0700 11/12/2004, Bob wrote:
I had occasion to check out
the Roxio web site today and I looked to see what updated information
I could pick up on any newer versions of the Adaptec UDF extension.
All I could find was version 1.0.4, which is the version that I've
had since 1999. When I re-read the README file that I had, it
indicated that v. 1.0.4 allowed access of UDF 1.5.

Right, it's version 1.0.4 of the extension. It supports the UDF 1.0, 1.0.2, and 1.5 standards.

Since you mentioned UDF 2.0 & 2.0.1 in your previous reply, and you
stated "Adaptec UDF Volume Access, which supports those newer
standards," can you provide any further detail on what newer versions
are available and what UDF versions they support? I'd like to snag
them if I can find them.

For OS 8/9, that Adaptec extension also seems to support some of the UDF 2 features. While it apparently it isn't full support, it's enough that all our new "foreign" (non-US) DVDs we have read just fine.

For OS X, ... I'm still looking.

OS X is in worse shape than 8/9. Apple's full UDF support once again stops at the 1.02 standard. And since Roxio hasn't updated their extension to work on X, there simply is no ?easy? support for 1.5 or 2.x.

See the "UDF CDs in OS X?" thread in G-Books archive, from 10/26 for details.

At this point...

1) Apple Support's official response, via telephone, is that Macs running OS X simply cannot read UDF 1.5 CDs. Some UDF 1.5 DVDs are supported. There is no support for UDF 2.

2) But from terminal in Panther, you can view man pages that say full UDF 1.5 is there, although it doesn't say CD or DVD specifically. I'm currently puttering within to see if I can force a mount. And I'm looking at the Linux UDF open source project - maybe it can be easily adapted.

3) I'm getting the impression that there is support for UDF 1.5 and 2 in the latest Roxio Toast products. Still waiting for Roxio to confirm this. But that's a $$$$$ solution for mostly unnecessary software. :\

4) Got Windows?  All our UDF CDs and DVDs read just fine on our Dell.

<rant> sigh. This situation is a total embarrassment for Apple, IMO. It is unconscionable that their high-end computers, targetted to the multimedia market, can't even read modern CDs and DVDs! UDF is the underlying file system on *all* video DVDs! UDF 1.5 has been around for YEARS! It's not like it's so new... *grumble* Dell *grumble* *frustration* </rant>

- Dan.