I have an AlBook (1GHz) with a Wacom Graphire II here at work
and some days when I come in and switch it on the graphics
tablet doesn't work forcing me to restart.

How come it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't even though
everything is left plugged in and unchanged  ???

It's a USB device plugged into the left hand port and no other
USB devices are connected.

Larry