On Dec 17, 2004, at 11:21 am, Amber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

The end of the first year of warranty is fast approaching for my G4
Powerbook and I am looking at have to pay almost $400.00 to extend it via
Applecare.

I am wondering how many people here have purchased Applecare on their
Powerbooks and whether you consider it worth the money.

I never purchased AppleCare for my Pismo PowerBook and I don't regret it.
In the 3+ years I've had it I've only replaced the hard drive (~$180), which
was as much for speed and capacity reasons as due to failure (it had
started making a high-pitched whining noise, so it would almost certainly
have failed eventually--although Apple would only have replaced it with the
same size/speed drive so I would still have had to fork over additional
money to get a larger and faster drive anyway). Also, my battery wore out,
but AppleCare wouldn't have covered that either.

I don't worry about my PowerBook breaking for two reasons. First, I have
a good backup regimen. Second, I view every failure as an opportunity for
an upgrade :) (either the individual component as in the case of my hard
drive or, eventually, the entire system). AppleCare will almost never get
you a better system than what you started with--it just preserves it as
it is.

Last, but not least, Apple is almost certainly making money on AppleCare.
For every dollar saved on repairs and replacements (above the cost of
AppleCare) there's at least another dollar 'wasted.' Unless you're
extremely risk averse I just don't think it makes much sense.

My $0.02 worth,

-Jeff    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--
"You can't brew a premium lager with a Kool-aid mentality." --Harold
Green in _The_Red_Green_Show_