How could a one inch slab of plastic alongside the keys be useful.  My Pismo
and 12" PowerBook have the same keybaord size, and the only ergonomic
advantages to the Pismo are that the screen is higher and the text is
larger.  For touch typing, the 12" PowerBook is actually a far more
comfortable machine to type on because its keys have much better action.

Hands never rest on the 3/4" strip of plastic on the sides of the keyboard,
and that space has no ergonomic benefit.  The deeper palmrest may have some
benefit, but the difference is very minor.

The only reason the 14" iBook and larger PowerBooks have space alongside
their keyboards is because those large screens are much wider than the
standard Apple laptop keyboards.  Now if Apple used that space by fitting
larger keys, or on the 17" PowerBook by including a full numeric keypad,
that would be an ergonomic improvement.

Andrew