On 1/1/05 1:15 PM, "Brian Rule" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Spew into the
Cybertrough:

> Aren't there apple authorize tech out there that will do it for
> considerably cheaper?

Nope.  All Apple laptop repair that is *in* warranty has to be done at one
of 2 service centers.  Dallas and Memphis.  Memphis handles iBooks and
older.  Dallas handles Powerbooks. They can add RAM etc, but a Hard Drive
will void your warranty.  I used to manage a tech shop (just 8 months ago)
and I am an Apple Certified Desktop and Portable technician.   You can't
even go into GSX (apple's online suite of ordering software and warranty
history etc...) and order the parts.  It errors out with a "this part is for
depot repair only please call blah blah blah..."  If someone tosses in a HD
from an over the counter source like CompUSA then your warranty is now void.
Apple Depot technicians are trained to look to see if you have been messing
around inside your laptop or not when they start the repair at the depot.  I
have toured both facilities (as well as the parts facility in Elk Grove Ca.)
and they have a system set up.  The figure they gave us was that 20% of all
incoming laptops were not repaired due to customer negligence or abuse.

Kyle Hansen
--
"The best way out is always through." -- Robert Frost