He probably had his drink in the little cup indentation and balanced his
PowerBook on the rest of the tray.  By the way, I didn't call 17" owners
idiots, only one particular guy I saw who made a real mess out of a 2-hour
flight.  I actually do see rational reasons for buying such machines,
graphic design or audio work, or almost anything else where lots of screen
real estate is needed in a transportable computer, which is what the 17" PB
is, a transportable, rather than a portable.