On Jan 5, 2005, at 2:33 PM, Brian Rule wrote:

It would also appear to be a convenience and backup prevention measure.
Brian

No it's primarily a "Please, RIAA and Justice Department, don't sue us out of existence" measure.

Apple planned the ITMS and iPod as a linked business from the start.

Pissing off the record labels by essentially making and selling a 20GB piracy device would have put a mild crimp in their negotiations with the labels.

I mean look at the freakout the record label folks did over the "Rip, Mix, Burn" ad campaign, and it was very careful to state "Don't steal music".

The side effects are inconvenience, and then only if you assume (and remember what our teachers taught us about that word!) it works 'just like your Palm'.

In fact, the iPod manual warns about this.

Absolutely nothing about iTunes prevents you from backing up your music collection, only using your iPod as the backup.

You want to rant about this, aim the rant at the right folks: the recording industry, the media giants and their tame congresscritters (or parliamentcritters, depending on where you're at).