Get a copy of DiskWarrior as fast as you can and run it...It will probably take quite a while to do so but hopefully it will work for you...I had similar problem in July of '03 when my Pismo acted that way...I was able to get it started once in a while in OS9 but X just hung there...When I got DW it took a while for it to load from the CD but it finally did. The fact that it starts from the Restore CD shows thatthere is power etc...It sounds to me like the HD got really corrupted...As I said, I thought thatI had hardware problems also and it turned out ok..The Pismo is still running merrily except for that [EMAIL PROTECTED]&* LG DVD drive that died...Hope this helps!!!
Regards,
Mike K

CHARLES RICHARDS wrote:

Good morning all. I used the old paperclip method and opened the CD drive and inserted the Restore CD and hit the power key and the system booted up to OS9. The battery shows one light and so I tried to boot up from the internal HD which has OS 10.3.6 . I get the big apple no spinning wheel and it just hangs with the big apple showing.
I get the usual start up sound as well.
After waiting 5min or so, I give up and press the power key+apple+control to restart holding down the "C" key to start again from the Restore CD and it will do this. How frustrating. Any suggestions any one?

The other thing to consider would be the PMU. I'm thinking about all the components that have to do with power management. The PMU and/or the Sound Card are the most likely culprits of your problem. I'm not so sure that the logic board would be at fault. That's not to say that it couldn't be but...
As for the PMU, it is separate from the mb. Follow this link to see a picture of it: http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Power___Charger_PMU_Battery_Board_Pismo- p-16137.html
It is on slide 22 at the 'take apart' link I sent you yesterday.

There is this from xlr8yourmac.com about the PMU reset:
...Most often it is due to a dead cell in the backup battery, or just a corrupted PMU. The problem is that you can't reset the PMU correctly from a dead backup battery. You can zap the PMU, which will get the backup battery charging again. Then reset it in a few hours when the battery has some charge. The steps are below.
If this doesn't correct it, then they most likely have a bad (not just dead, but bad cell) battery that is corrupting the PMU on its own. The first suggested fix is an accurate set of PMU resets as follows.

RESETTING THE PMU
A corrupted PMU (Power Management Unit) board can cause many sleep/startup issues.
The PMU is the Power Management Unity of the system. When the batteries are completely drained, draining too fast, or a battery with a bad cell exists, or if the AC adapter is unplugged from the wall, but left connected to the PowerBook, the PMU can become corrupted
If the internal motherboard backup battery has become completely drained, then a 2nd PMU reset will be needed about 4 hours after the 1st PMU reset and the system has been plugged in for at least an hour (once the motherboard battery has enough power to reset the PMU properly). The first reset (due to a dead MB battery) wipes the PMU. The second reset (using the charged MB battery) rewrites the PMU with long-term firmware.
Before resetting the PMU, check all connections. If possible. Put the system to sleep and insert a known good battery, then test.
Reset the PMU as follows:
Unplug the AC from the PowerBook.
Eject the battery(s).
Depress the PowerBook reset switch ONE TIME (in the back by the modem, marked by a white triangle).
Wait 10 seconds.
Replug the AC.
Reinsert the Battery.
Restart the system.
After the system has had about 4 hours of "plugged in" time, repeat the PMU reset as outlined above. This will rewrite the correct PMU code using the trickle from the motherboard battery's charge to do the writing.
If the system still does not charge/drain/startup correctly. You can try a hard motherboard reset. Follow the same instructions above, but after #2, lift the keyboard and unplug the motherboard battery (lower right above CD bay, three wire connector), wait 10 minutes then proceed. After running for an hour on AC, do a normal PMU reset.
Best regards,
Gary Dailey
DaystarTechnology.com "
A. M. G. D.

Small Dog Electronics    http://www.smalldog.com  | Refurbished Drives  |
-- Check our web site for refurbished PowerBooks  |  & CDRWs on Sale!   |