Aase:

On Jan 19, 2005, Aase Marit Waage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I live in Norway, and my obligation is to follow Norwegian laws. According to the big red law book which I actually own copies of, we are here allowed to own 1 copy of music etc. for our own use. If you however choose to make copies to sell or distribute, then you are breaking the law. That we still have this legislation here, has been subject to a lot of discussion, but the law still says this, and I really don`t think it will be changed anytime soon...

Actually I just read a long article about it, and there is no
disagreement when it comes to interpreting this law, it is crystal
clear (I promise you, the record companies do not like this one bit).
Bottom line - as a Norwegian citizen, keeping one copy for myself of
whatever it is in iTunes, is completely legal. I am fully aware of
the fact that the laws says otherwise e.g. in the US, but I really
don`t have any obligation towards US law except for when I am
there...  :)

I appreciate very much that you bought you iBook with all its software media. And I think I understand that you are in compliance with Norwegian law. However, I also understand that the issue with iTunes involves an formal agreement that someone had with Apple, in effect, a license.

I do not know the terms of the license to which the previous owner of your iBook in Denmark agreed. But I suspect it included statements prohibiting or controlling further distribution or sale. If so, the previous owner may have obligated himself to remove the music from the iBook. By the same token, I suspect the license is mute regarding any third party who may acquire the music, as in your case.

SNIP

I must say though, I was really disappointed to find out that iTunes
Music Store is not available for us here. I would love to use it, and
download music to enjoy. I figured that I could just access it e.g.
in the US, but I just get a window saying that it is not available in
my country...

I also suspect that Apple prevents you from accessing the Music Store in Norway because of Norwegian law.

Well, another thing to consider is that any music downloaded off of iTunes
Music Store won't be able to be accessed unless he keeps the former user's
account. If the former owner is 'OK' with this then..... But I doubt it.
It's just sad that we even have to remind others of the obvious. I will
continue my attempts at 'tikkun olam', but experience tells me that it's an
uphill battle.

Tim

Now comes an interesting question. Are you enjoying the music? Or is Tim correct in his statement that you cannot access the music on the hard drive?

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God, proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.