Tom,

I had the exact same problem over 18 months ago. Wallstreet G3/266, OS 8.x - OK; OS 9 - blank box after 1 or 2 cdev's loaded.
Replaced the AC/Sound card and problems went away. Proudly running 9.2.2 and 10.2.8 with 512m RAM with no more problems!
Try it, it will probably solve your problem. Wallstreet NOT R.I.P.
Thanks to Daniel Cota @ powerbooktech.com

Shawn