on 23/01/05 13:17, Andrew, a Mac Freak at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> There is no easy solution to this problem, I'm afraid. The best thing to
>> do
>> would be to check on eBay and replace the iBook's keyboard.
>
> I checked ebay and the cheapest keyboards are, of course, the
> semi-transparent ones that are on the G3 & clamshell ibooks.  Question:
> do ibook G3 keyboards work on ibook G4s?  I know that that'll look
> tacky, but being a student one must be looking at the prices more than
> the looks :)  I'm fairly sure they do work, I just have to double-check
> here.
>
>> Or, you could
>> remove the keyboard, remove the key caps, and try to put the keyboard and
>> the key caps in some soapy solution. Then, rinse, and leave it to dry for
>> 2
>> or 3 days.
>
> Doing so will *not* damage the keyboard?  BTW, I have replaced
> individual keys on my mom's clamshell keyboard (after the dog had been
> "digging" into the keyboard with those razor-sharp claws)  and I had
> quite the trouble with only a couple keys, so removing and then
> replacing keys on a whole half of a keyboard would b quite a task I
> should think!

I don't think that the clamshell iBook keyboard is compatible with the G4
iBook, but I'm not sure.

I know that removing all the key caps can be a pain, that's why I suggested
to replace the whole keyboard first...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

C Programmer's Disease n.: The tendency of the undisciplined C programmer to
set arbitrary but supposedly generous static limits on table sizes (defined,
if you're lucky, by constants in header files) rather than taking the
trouble to do proper dynamic storage allocation.